Donating Stock is Easy.
You can make a gift of appreciated securities—publicly traded stocks, bonds, and mutual fund shares—to the History of Diving Museum while avoiding capital gains tax, diversifying your portfolio and/or securing a stream of income. It’s easy to do, contact your financial advisor to initiate the transfer.
How It Works
- You transfer appreciated securities to History of Diving Museum (HDM).
- HDM uses the proceeds to support the museum exhibits, collections, and educational programming.
Gifts of Stock Can be Made in Two Ways
- Transfer by broker: Draft a letter to your broker providing instructions for the stock transfer. Your broker should then contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm details on the transmittal of the gift. Click here for HDM's wire stock transfer form, then mail, fax, or email a completed copy to the History of Diving Museum.
- Mail certificate: Send the stock certificate(s) by certified mail to HDM. In a separate envelope, mail HDM your signed stock power form and a dated letter that identifies the stock, states how your gift is to be used and includes your signature exactly as it appears on the certificate. Send them on the same day by certified mail to:
History of Diving Museum
82990 Overseas Highway
Islamorada, FL 33036
You qualify for benefits based on your total annual giving. Click here to learn about our Sustaining Members Recognition levels.
For further information or to talk with someone about the impact your gift will have for supporting the museum, call 305-664-9737, or email email@example.com.
How You Benefit
- You receive credit and an immediate income tax deduction for the fair market value (average high and low prices on the day of the transfer).
- You avoid capital gains tax.
- Please note that the securities you use to make your gift must have been held by you for more than one year to be fully deductible.
When you donate appreciated securities, you can deduct the gift as a charitable donation AND avoid capital gains tax at transfer, though some capital gains taxation may be a part of the income stream. This double benefit allows you to leverage a larger donation by using appreciated securities rather than cash to make your gift. Here's an example:
Assumptions: Donor in 33% Income Tax bracket; Capital Gains Tax rate 15%
Transferring securities is a simple process, and your financial advisor can help with every step.
For further information or to talk with someone about giving to HDM, please call 305-664-9737 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Matched Gifts: Many corporations offer a matching gift program. We would be glad to verify your contribution and submit the proper paperwork.